Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Extended Bulk Outline

I've just come off a short cut to get me lean, and my plan is to move onto a long, slow gaining phase from Winter to Spring or even further if possible. This is how I plan on setting things up to make that happen:

Training

Lower/Pull (More hamstring dominant)
RPT Deadlifts-3 sets: 3,4,5 (Increase at 5,6,7)
Leg Extensions-1 set (easy)
Leg Curls-2 sets (hard)
RPT Weighted Chins-3 sets: 4,6,8 (Increase at 6,8,10)
Lat Pulldowns: 2 sets
Bicep Curls: 2 sets of 12-15

Upper Push/Calves
RPT Bench Press-3 sets: 6,8,10 (Increase at 8,10,12)
DB Bench Press-2 sets of 12-15
Military DB Press-2 sets of 8,10 (Increase at 10,12)
Side laterals-1 easy set of 15
Tricep Pushdowns-2 sets of 12-15
Calf raises: 3 sets
Calf Extensions: 1 set

Lower/Pull 2 (More Quad dominant)
RPT Squats-3 sets: 6,8,10 (Increase at 8,10,12)
Leg Extensions-2 sets (hard)
Leg Curls-1 set (easy)
RPT Weighted Chins-3 sets: 4,6,8 (Increase at 6,8,10)
Lat Pulldowns: 2 sets
Bicep Curls: 2 sets of 12-15

I'll be in the gym roughly every other day, hitting each group every 5th day or so. This has worked wonders in the past, and it really allows me to recover properly and maintain high intensity in the weight room. The program has a base of Reverse Pyramid training for compound movements coupled with more typical hypertrophy programs for size and volume. Consider it a power/hypertrophy mix. It is also built around the concept of double progression, where you increase weight after completing the reps at the top of a range.

Ex) 
For a 6-8 rep range
Workout 1: 225x6, Workout 2: 225x8, Workout 3: 230x6

Reverse pyramid training is a great system in my opinion. For anyone wondering how a sample would look for a 6-10 rep range:

Squats
Set 1: 350x6

Take off 10% before set 2, and do...

Set 2: 315x8

Another 10%, and do...

Set 3: 285x10

Basically you take off weight but add reps. Now as for how a typical weekly/biweekly set up looks for the above workouts:

Sample Set-Up
Mon-Lower 1
Tues-Rest
Wed-Upper
Thurs-Rest
Fri-Lower 2
Sat-Rest
Sun-Rest
Mon-Upper
Tues-Rest
Wed-Lower 1

..and so on and so forth. As you can see each area is being hit every fourth to fifth day. Research points towards twice a week training each bodypart to be optimal. I'll try and dig up the studies. I've run this in the past, and it has worked remarkably well. 

I am still contemplating whether or not to specialize certain bodyparts, in which case, I'll be training one muscle group at maintenance while focusing on another as to avoid a burnout. As I get more advanced, it is becoming increasingly difficult to advance everything at once.

Deloads

As I've stated, as I get more advanced, lifting heavy weight for a long stretch of time will eventually take it's toll on my CNS and cause me to burn out and/or plateau in my lifts. To avoid this, I'll be incorporating periodic deloads. One step back to take 2 steps forward essentially. The idea came from Lyle McDonald and his articles.

2 week ramp up, 6 week hard training (over 2 month blocks). During deload, drop heavy weights by 15-20% for same specified reps. Following week increase 7.5-10% until working with previous top weights or just below on week 3. Continue loading phase from there on out to finish the block. Basically, you will be able to build back up to beat your previous bests from the previous cycle.

Example Deload:

Last week of hard training: 350x6
First week of deload: 285x6 (-20%)
Second week of deload: 315x6 (-10%)
First week of next hard training cycle: 350x6 or thereabouts. A tad below is acceptable, as long as progression past the previous best is achieved over the course of the cycle.

Nutrition

Lifting Days (3x/week)
Maintenance + 600
High Carb, Mod. Protein, Low fat

Immediate Rest Days (3x/week)
Maintenance +0
Moderate P/C/F

Consecutive Rest Day (1x/week)
Maintenance – 200-500
Moderate P/C/F (Protein + fat emphasis: ~1.5g/lb bw Pro)

Total Weekly Surplus: ~1/2lb (1300-1800cals)

Well, those are the basics! If I need to add in/edit anything for the plan, I will. That's all for now. Very excited to get the ball rolling. I'll be moving into my ramp up period next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment