Friday, October 21, 2011

A Minor Set-Back

Well, I woke up Wednesday morning with a dull ache in my sternum. I believe it came about after heavy deadlifting the night before.

It's nothing incredibly painful, though it is something to keep an eye on. I have been taking hot baths, resting plenty, and taking some anti-inflammatory medication (Motrin) to let it heal up. I originally had a workout lined up yesterday, but I decided to skip it and just rest. Safety takes priority over everything, and I couldn't rightfully have a good workout knowing I wasn't 100%. In fact, I may be taking the rest of the week off. I'll just move right into my pre-bulk deloading phase starting next week. No harm done.

My only guess is that my form wasn't spot on for my heavy set of deadlifts. Though my fundamental motion is great, my shoulders need to be pulled back and braced tighter for the top part of the lift. This has never been in an issue in the past, however I am glad I made note of this now before a more serious injury occurred. I'm quite stubborn, and it isn't easy for me to admit that my form wasn't perfect, but I will swallow my pride here.

After extensive searching, it seems I've developed a mild case of Costochondritis, swelling of the connective tissue and cartelige between the ribs and sternum. When my shoulders weren't completely tensed back at the top of the lift, it allowed my upper torso to droop slightly forward, placing undue stress on that area.

As I've said, I'll be taking it easy for the next few days to give the area a chance to recooperate. I am thankful it wasn't something more serious, and it came before my deloading phase, so I don't need to worry about pushing heavy loads for a couple weeks.

On the bright side...this will give me more time to play my new game I picked up on Tuesday.

Arkham City!

No comments:

Post a Comment